Brief History of Ak-Sar-Ben
In 1895, Omaha was the home of the Nebraska State Fair. But the State Fair Board, angry because Omaha businessmen failed to
provide suitable evening entertainment for families attending the fair, laid down an ultimatum:
Provide entertainment other
than saloons, gambling houses and honkeytonks for the 1895 fair or lose it to a competitively alert Lincoln.
On the evening of March 28, 1895, a meeting was called with 60 of the most prominent businessmen of Omaha in attendance.
At this meeting, the 12 men who formed the Executive Committee of the Omaha Business Men’s Association (an organization
still in existence) and who had taken charge of the festivities of Fair Week presented an ambitious plan for securing all
floats which had appeared in February’s New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade for the Omaha fair.
These 12 men became the original members of the Board of Governors of the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben. Their journey to
New Orleans to obtain the Mardi Gras floats brought them into contact with the Rex, Proteus and Comus Society of the
Crescent City (the civic group which organized the Mardi Gras festivities). The Omahans were convinced that a permanent
organization such as the Rex, Proteus and Comus Society was just what Omaha needed to add zest to its progressive outlook.
On the train ride back from New Orleans, the Omahans named their new organization.
Why not reverse the name of our beloved
state, since everything seems to be going backwards these days? Dudley Smith suggested. Another member suggested that since
this group had saved the fair for the city, the organization should be called the
Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben. Thus, Ak-Sar-Ben was
At the first combined state fair and Aksarben festival and coronation ball, the official colors of Aksarben were unveiled:
red, green and yellow. These colors were chose to be symbolic of the primary products of the state—beef cattle, corn, and wheat.
These colors were later used on many of the membership pins produced over the years. This color theme was changed in 1966 to
blue & white.